Monday, February 18, 2013

Daily 5 in the Upper Grades

The Daily 5

In the Upper Grades (6th grade in particular) 

Iam looking for some advice and help about using The Daily 5 in my 6th grade classroom for next year. My afternoon is spent with spelling, English, and reading (90 minutes total for all 3). I feel like I will make our time more well spent by doing The Daily 5, but I have no idea where to start! I have read The Daily 5 book and loved it. 

So I am looking to you, my fellow bloggers, for some help. Please tell me:

1. How you introduced the Daily 5?

2. Do you do all 5 or slim it down to 3 and which ones do you use?

3. How do your kids like The Daily 5 or 3?

4. What activities do you use?

5. How much time do you spend on The Daily 5?

6. Do you do it everyday? 

7. Do you incorporate your English? 




Thank you so much for all of your help in advance! 






4 comments:

  1. Hey!! I do Daily 3 in my 6th grade class, but I teach at a middle school. Here is a post about what I do http://croftsclassroom.blogspot.com/2012/10/daily-5cafe-in-6th-grade-classroom.html
    I would LOVE to know how it goes for you!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very curious as to what you come up with. I teach 6th grade Language arts in an 80 minute block. I have wanted to do some sort of Daily 5 (or 3 or 4) in my class with CAFE, too. But I just can't figure out the structure. I look forward to see what kind of response you get.

      Justin Greene
      http://inthegreeneroom.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. I don't exactly do a Daily 5, but I use the first 10-15 minutes of class for 2 DOL sentences, one skill questions, and a journal prompt. It is a Smartboard activity and students copy into a composition notebook. We correct the sentences, complete the skill question (usually something like give a synonym or complete the analogy), and 3-4 students get to share a journal. I then alternate a spelling or vocabulary activity for the next 20 minutes. Then, we continue with whatever our grammar topic is. I teach grammar cumulatively, so they have to practice old stuff and add in new stuff. Finally, we read/write with whatever our class novel is for the last 45 minutes or so. It seems to work well skill-wise and time-wise. As much as possible, I overlap skills (i.e. if we are learning adjectives and adverbs, I like to have my poetry unit going).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use daily 3 in my multi-level grade 5/6 class. Read to self, read to someone, write. 25 minutes each everyday. We start the year with training just like the sisters suggest. If we don't do it the kids comp,ain so I do think they like it!

    ReplyDelete